- What is a Demo Account?
- What is the purpose of a Demo Account?
- Can I download information associated with my Demo Account?
- How do I delete a Demo Account?
- I accidentally created a Demo Account by signing up with Apple Sign-In or Google Sign-In. What should I do now?
What is a Demo Account?
A Demo Account is a type of 23andMe account that does not contain a registered sample kit or results from a sample kit.
You can create a Demo Account from a direct email invitation from a family member who currently has a 23andMe account or by signing up here. If you start the registration process and do not register a kit, your account will default to an empty Demo Account.
Since a Demo Account does not contain data from a processed sample kit, you will not see personal genetic reports from 23andMe or other features that require you to be genotyped by the 23andMe service.
Demo Accounts are not supported on our mobile app on iOS or Android at this time.
What is the purpose of a Demo Account?
23andMe customers can share their reports with non-customers through a Demo Account. First, a 23andMe customer logs into their account to initiate a sharing invitation. Then, the sharing invitation will be sent directly to the non-customer’s email inbox. Once the non-customer gets the email invitation, the non-customer can set up a Demo Account to see the shared reports.
On the other hand, customers can choose to set up a Demo Account while they are waiting for their order to arrive in the mail. Once their sample kit arrives, they can complete the registration process by typing in the 14-digit barcode located on the side of their sample kit.
Can I download information associated with my Demo Account?
You can download available Demo Account information from within your Account Settings.
Please follow the steps below to download Demo Account data:
- Log into your 23andMe Demo Account and navigate to the 23andMe Data section within your Account Settings.
- Select the reports you would like to download. Note, some reports may not be available because the Demo Account does not contain a registered sample that was genotyped by the 23andMe Service.
- After selecting the reports you would like to receive, you will receive an email notification with instructions from 23andMe once your reports are ready. The processing time is typically 1-2 business days.
- When you receive an email notifying you that the requested reports are ready, sign in and download the available reports from within your account. Make sure your Demo Account is still active in order to receive and download the requested reports.
Be sure to check your spam folder if you do not receive the notification email after 3 business days. Contact the Customer Care Team if you need any help with this process.
How do I delete a Demo Account?
Follow these steps if you want to delete your Demo Account:
- Log into your 23andMe Demo Account and navigate to the 23andMe Data section within your Account Settings. You can also locate this page at https://you.23andme.com/user/edit/records/
- Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the red Permanently Delete Data button.
- When you click this button, you will receive an email titled "23andMe Delete Account Request" from firstname.lastname@example.org. This email will be sent to your account email address.
- Follow the instructions in the email. Please note that your account will not be deleted until you confirm your request by clicking on the blue confirmation button in the email.
- Once your deletion request has been confirmed, you will be taken to a page that says: “Your data is being deleted”.
- Please note that the email confirmation link sent to the account email expires in 24 hours. If the request is not confirmed within 24 hours, you will need to submit another account deletion request.
Be sure to check your spam folder if you do not receive the follow up email. If you need additional help, please contact the Customer Care Team.
I accidentally created a Demo Account by signing up with Apple Sign-In or Google Sign-In. What should I do now?
If you unintentionally created a new Demo Account using Apple Sign-In or Google Sign-In, you can choose to delete the Demo Account from within your Account Settings. You can delete your Demo Account by following the same steps outlined in the “How do I delete a Demo Account?” section.